To request copies of building plans, please refer to the following steps:
1. Verify the Community Development Department has the requested plans.
It is recommended the requestor contact the Community Development Department records section to verify plans are on file and/or to review the plans before ordering. Please dial (310) 285-1141, and select Option 8.
2. Complete the required paperwork
No copies can be made without written permission from both the property owner and the licensed professional who signed the plans. (Health and Safety Code 19851). If the building is part of a common interest development (i.e. condominium), the written permission of the board of directors or governing body of the association established to manage the common interest development is required. In addition, the requestor must complete the Procedures and Affidavit for Duplication of Plans.
The Community Development Department will contact the professional(s) of records by certified mail. If after 30 days the professional does not respond or the certified mail is returned undeliverable, the City may allow the plans to be duplicated without the professional's approval if the other requirements are satisfied.
- The requestor is responsible for completing the affidavit and obtaining the owner's permission. Proof of ownership may be required (i.e. tax bill, deed etc). In addition, the affidavit must be notarized.
- No copies or faxes of the affidavit or owner's permission will be accepted.
3. Submit the completed forms to the Community Development Department
When the forms are completed, please contact the Community Development Department at (310) 285-1141, and select Option 8.
4. Pay the required fees
A $123.00 processing fee will be charged and is payable when you submit the paperwork -- this does not include the cost of duplication. Once the completed affidavit and permission forms are received, including the form for the professional of record, the Community Development Department will process the request.
- If the plans are maintained in electronic format, the cost to replicate in large format paper is $6.00 per sheet, with a $25.20 minimum.
- If the plans are maintained on microfilm, the City will utilize its reprographic contractor to pick up and copy the plans. The reprographic company will contact the requestor directly regarding their order; the requestor is responsible for paying the duplication costs. The reprographic company we currently use is:
900 South Robertson Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90035
Please note that the process to obtain copies of official building plans may take up to 45 days once we receive your completed paperwork, due to the State of California's legal mandates.