60°F

Font Size

Questions (Ask Bev)

Video on Demand

Jobs

iMap (GIS)

eNotice

Water Tracker

Org Chart

Advocate Registration
Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau Fire Safety Education
Fire Safety Education

SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR FAMILY AND HOME

HOLIDAY SAFETY

The Beverly Hills Fire Department wants everyone to have a safe and happy holiday.  Seasonal decorations are lovely to look at, but can pose a fire danger.  To ensure a safe holiday follow our simple safety guidelines:

  • Choose decorections that have flame resistant or flame retardant labeling.
  • Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory.  LED lights are shatterproof, shock resistant and produce almost no heat, greatly reducing the risk of fire and making the lights safe to touch.
  • Make sure all electrical cords have no frayed or cracked wires or broken sockets.  Don't attempt to repair a worn light set; throw it away and purchase a replacement.
  • Don't overload electrical outlets.  You shouldn't link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe to do so.

RESIDENTIAL SPRINKLER SYSTEMS

Residential sprinkler systems are designed for life safety and are your best line of defense in a fire.  A residential sprinkler system and smoke detectors together can dramatically decrease fire fatalities.  Sprinklers are inexpensive to install in new and existing buildings.  In addition, they reduce damage caused by the fire and minimize water damage during fire suppression.

SMOKE DETECTORS

Install Smoke Detectors

A smoke detector can give an early warning of a fire.  It is an effective tool in increasing your chance of escaping and surviving.  Smoke detectors should be installed in each sleeping area and on each level of the home.

Change Your Smoke Detector Batteries

The International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) and fire experts nationwide encourage people to change smoke detector batteries at least annually.  An easy way to remember to change your batteries is when you turn your clock back in the fall.  Replace old batteries with fresh, high quality alkaline batteries, such as energizer brand batteries, to keep your smoke detector going year-long.

Check Your Smoke Detectors

After inserting a fresh battery in your smoke detector, check to make sure the smoke detector itself is working by pushing the safety test button.

Clean Your Smoke Detectors

Each month, clear your smoke detectors of dust and cobwebs to ensure their sensitivity.

CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS

As of July 1, 2011 the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill - SB 183 will require all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide detectors within the home by July 1, 2011. Owners of multi-family leased or rental dwellings, such as apartment buildngs, have until January 1, 2013 to comply with the law.

Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. Even more die from CO produced by idling cars. Fetuses, infants, elderly people, and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible. Be safe. Practice the DO's and DON'Ts of carbon monoxide.

CO Poisoning Symptoms
Know the symptoms of CO poisoning. At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.

Prevent CO Poisoning
Play it Safe - If you experience symptoms that you think could be from CO poisoning:

  • CALL 911 or your local emergency number.
  • GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY. Open doors and windows, turn off combustion appliances and leave the house.
  • DO NOT re-enter the premises until cleared by emergency personnel.
  • GO TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM and tell the physician you suspect CO poisoning. If CO poisoning has occurred, it can often be diagnosed by a blood test done soon after exposure.

Follow these guidelines to help keep your family safer.

  • Install CO alarms outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home including the basement. The CO alarm can warn you if too much CO is in your home.
  • Keep CO alarms clear of dust and debris.
  • Ensure CO alarms are plugged all the way into a working outlet, or if battery operated, have working batteries.

Prevention is the Key to Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • DO have your fuel-burning appliances -- including oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ranges and ovens, gas dryers, gas or kerosene space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves - inspected by a trained professional at the beginning of every heating season. Make certain that the flues and chimneys are connected, in good condition, and not blocked.
  • DO choose appliances that vent their fumes to the outside whenever possible, have them properly installed, and maintain them according to manufacturers' instructions.
  • DO read and follow all of the instructions that accompany any fuel-burning device. If you cannot avoid using an unvented gas or kerosene space heater, carefully follow the cautions that come with the device and keep doors to the rest of the house open. Crack a window to ensure enough air for ventilation and proper fuel-burning.
  • DON'T idle the car in a garage -- even if the garage door to the outside is open. Fumes can build up very quickly in the garage and living area of your home.
  • DON'T use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
  • DON'T ever use a charcoal grill indoors -- even in a fireplace.
  • DON'T sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
  • DON'T use any gasoline-powered engines (mowers, weed trimmers, snow blowers, chain saws, small engines or generators) in enclosed spaces.
  • DON'T ignore symptoms, particularly if more than one person is feeling them. You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing.

For printable material and additional information regarding fire safety, please click on the links below.