Questions about plan reviews? Here’s where to find the answers.
Questions about permits? Visit our Permit page
Who Can Obtain A Plan Review?
Plan reviews may be initiated by the owner of the property or authorized agent, or to a licensed contractor or authorized agent.
How Much Does a Plan Review Cost?
Fees vary according to the scope of work. Call us at (310) 285-1141 for information.
The City’s Plan Check services include:
- Building Plan Review
- Architectural Plans
- Structural Plans
- Demolition Plans
- Grading / Shoring Plans
- Green Building Plans
- Energy Plans
- Mechanical Plan Review
- Electrical Plan Review
- Electric Vehicle Plans
- Solar Panel Plans
- Plumbing Plan Review
- Water Efficient Landscape Plan Review
How Long Does It Take To Obtain a Plan Review Approval?
Many projects are eligible for over-the-counter plan review, while others require plan review submittal. Projects submitted for plan review will be assigned a plan check cycle timeline. To schedule an over-the-counter appointment with a Planner or Plan Review Engineer, or a plan review submittal appointment with a Development Services Technician, please call (310) 285-1141.
Streamlined over-the-counter plan checks are available for the following types of projects. Click on the links for details.
Plan Check Cycle Timelines
e-OTC (Express Plan Check)
- Site work (FYP, site wall/fence, fire pit, BBQ area, Water features, pool re-plaster, etc.)
- New pool/spa on level pad (not on structural piles and foundation system)
- Water efficient landscaping
- Driveway approach in public R-O-W
- Window change out (no change to opening sizes-no structural work)
- HVAC change out
- Interior minor remodel of SFR buildings (with no structural work)
- Business ID signage
Small Projects: 3 Weeks (re-submittals: 2 Weeks)
- MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing)
- Mandatory soft-story retrofit of MFR buildings
- Solar PV systems
- Residential concept review (zoning and building)
- Medical gas
- New pool/spa on structural piles and foundation system
- Commercial store front minor alterations - Commercial minor T.I.
Intermediate Projects: 5 Weeks (re-submittals 3 Weeks) - Expedited Plan Check: 3 Weeks (Re-submittals 2 Weeks)
- SFR buildings remodel and/or addition on level pad
- New SFR buildings on level pad
- Residential accessory structures remodel and/or addition on level pad
- New residential accessory structures
- MFR buildings renovation, change in number of units, etc.
- Commercial T.I. (Office, retail, restaurant...)
- Medical office and/or surgery center T.I.
Complex & Large Projects: 7 Weeks (re-submittals 3 Weeks) - Expedited Plan Check: 4 Weeks (Re-submittals 3 Weeks)
- New SFR buildings in Hillside area
- Addition and remodel of SFR buildings in Hillside area
- New commercial buildings
- Addition and/or major renovation of existing commercial buildings
- New MFR development
- New mixed-use development
- Hotels, motels, theaters
- For Electronic Over The Counter Plan check, the completed permit application form, and the request for the e-OTC meeting along with the project plans (All sheets of plans shall be combined as one single PDF) must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prior to plan check submittal, all required applicable approvals from planning division shall be obtained (Design Review, Architectural Review, etc.)
- In addition to regular plan check fees, there is an additional fee for expediting the plan review process. Its amount may vary depending on the scope of work and complexity of the project.
- The plan review cycle timeline starts after all required plans and documents are uploaded in ProjectDox (electronic plan check system) AND the submittal or re-submittal is completed by the applicant so the City staff can start the review task.
FYP: Front Yard Paving
e-OTC: Electronic Over the Counter Plan check
SFR: Single Family Residential
MFR: Multi-Family Residential
T.I.: Tenant Improvement
Expedited Plan Review Services
Expedited plan review services are available upon request for both building and trade (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) plan reviews. The review is conducted by outside agencies contracting with the City, and incurs additional plan check fees payable at the time of plan submittal.
Expedited plan review services are not available for zoning or planning plan check, public works, fire, or any other department reviews.
The turnaround time for expedited plan check is usually two weeks for each plan review cycle. The review comments and associated corrections, and the redlined plans are returned to the applicant prior to any other department review comments that are necessary on any project. These services do not expedite plan reviews for all necessary departments needed for plan approval.
Building Plan Submittal Requirements
- All plans and calculations must be wet stamped and signed by the engineer/architect of record.
- All plans must be drawn to scale.
- Minimum plan sheet sizes accepted: ARCH B or ANSI B (11x17).
- All plans submitted shall have the design professional identified including but not limited to the Company Name, Business Address, and contact information included as part of the submitted plans.
- All plans shall have the project property address identified on all pages of the plan set.
- All plans shall have the owner of the project property identified.
- Architectural Plans are required for submittal. Minimum of four stapled sets for new construction and two stapled sets for other projects.
- Structural Plans are required for submittal. Minimum of four stapled sets for new construction and two stapled sets for other projects.
- One set of Structural Calculations are required for submittal.
- All set of plans shall contain a site plan, plot plan, general notes and specifications, details, and a cover sheet.
- The professional of record shall provide the City of Beverly Hills as-built, digital-format plans upon completion of construction, and prior to final building inspection. City of Beverly Hills Agreement to Provide Digital-Format Plans
- Effective immediately - All set of plans shall contain the City of Beverly Hills Inspection Record document as part of the proposed set of plans. City of Beverly Hills Inspection Record Document – I agree to incorporate this into my proposed set of plans without modifying or changing the information provided.
- Effective immediately - All set of plans shall contain the City of Beverly Hills Pre-Construction Meeting Topics as part of the proposed set of plans. Pre-Construction Meeting Topics
- All Single Family Residential Plans shall contain the City of Beverly Hills Single Family Residential Project Summary as part of the proposed set of plans. Single Family Residential Project Summary
- Projects requiring plans shall include a construction management plan time schedule to be submitted for review. Visit the Construction Management Plan webpage for detailed requirements
- New developments of habitable structures having four or more occupants shall complete an appropriate “standard-of-practice” geological investigation to ensure that active faults do not underlie the site or, if present, are appropriately mitigated by avoidance (structural setbacks). 2018 Site Specific Seismic Fault Investigation and Guidelines
The following documents can assist you in preparing for the plan review process. Additional documents can be found in our Document Library