Questions about plan reviews? Here’s where to find the answers.
Questions about permits? Visit our Permit page
Who Can Obtain A Plan Review?
Plan reviews may be initiated by the owner of the property or authorized agent, or to a licensed contractor or authorized agent.
How Much Does a Plan Review Cost?
Fees vary according to the scope of work. Call us at (310) 285-1141 for information.
The City’s Plan Check services include:
- Building Plan Review
- Architectural Plans
- Structural Plans
- Demolition Plans
- Grading / Shoring Plans
- Green Building Plans
- Energy Plans
- Mechanical Plan Review
- Electrical Plan Review
- Electric Vehicle Plans
- Solar Panel Plans
- Plumbing Plan Review
- Water Efficient Landscape Plan Review
How Long Does It Take To Obtain a Plan Review Approval?
Many projects are eligible for over-the-counter plan review, while others require plan review submittal. Projects submitted for plan review will be assigned a plan check cycle timeline. To schedule an over-the-counter appointment with a Planner or Plan Review Engineer, or a plan review submittal appointment with a Development Services Technician, please call (310) 285-1141.
Streamlined over-the-counter plan checks are available for the following types of projects. Click on the links for details.
Interior Office Tenant Improvement
Single Family Dwelling Additions & Alterations
Detached Single Story Garage & Accessory Structures
Water Efficient Landscaping
Plan Check Cycle Timelines
Note: Estimated staff turnaround for projects not identified below will be provided upon submittal.
Small Projects: Two Weeks (re-submittals: seven days)
- Interior T.I. – general office, existing medical space, retail less than 3,000 square feet
- Existing restaurant T.I. with less than 1,000 square feet of bar and dining area
- Residential remodel and/or one story additions on level pad
- Retail stores with exterior alterations – AC approved
- Storefront alterations – AC approved, non-structural
- Paving, walls, retaining walls and miscellaneous structures
- Accessory structures – meets development standard
Intermediate Projects: Four Weeks (re-submittals: 14 days)
- T.I.’s – Retail stores, general offices and medical offices
- Residential – New SFR or additions – on level pad, DRC approved
- Retail stores with exterior alterations – AC approved
- Change of use
- Apartment building renovation, change in number of units, etc. – AC approved
- Surgery centers (I-occupancy)
- Common interest development projects
Complex, Large and Involved Projects: Six weeks + (re-submittals: 21 days)
- Residential Hillside – new or additions with view issue
- New commercial and/or additions/major renovations
- New multi-family development
- New mixed-use development
- Hotels, motels, theatres
Expedited Plan Review Services
Expedited plan review services are available upon request for both building and trade (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) plan reviews. The review is conducted by outside agencies contracting with the City, and incurs additional plan check fees payable at the time of plan submittal.
Expedited plan review services are not available for zoning or planning plan check, public works, fire, or any other department reviews.
The turnaround time for expedited plan check is usually two weeks for each plan review cycle. The review comments and associated corrections, and the redlined plans are returned to the applicant prior to any other department review comments that are necessary on any project. These services do not expedite plan reviews for all necessary departments needed for plan approval.
Building Plan Submittal Requirements
- All plans and calculations must be wet stamped and signed by the engineer/architect of record.
- All plans must be drawn to scale.
- Minimum plan sheet sizes accepted: ARCH B or ANSI B (11x17).
- All plans submitted shall have the design professional identified including but not limited to the Company Name, Business Address, and contact information included as part of the submitted plans.
- All plans shall have the project property address identified on all pages of the plan set.
- All plans shall have the owner of the project property identified.
- Architectural Plans are required for submittal. Minimum of four stapled sets for new construction and two stapled sets for other projects.
- Structural Plans are required for submittal. Minimum of four stapled sets for new construction and two stapled sets for other projects.
- One set of Structural Calculations are required for submittal.
- All set of plans shall contain a site plan, plot plan, general notes and specifications, details, and a cover sheet.
- The professional of record shall provide the City of Beverly Hills as-built, digital-format plans upon completion of construction, and prior to final building inspection. City of Beverly Hills Agreement to Provide Digital-Format Plans
- Effective immediately - All set of plans shall contain the City of Beverly Hills Inspection Record document as part of the proposed set of plans. City of Beverly Hills Inspection Records Document – I agree to incorporate this into my proposed set of plans without modifying or changing the information provided.
- Effective immediately - All set of plans shall contain the City of Beverly Hills Pre-Construction Meeting Topics as part of the proposed set of plans. Pre-Construction Meeting Topics
- All Single Family Residential Plans shall contain the City of Beverly Hills Single Family Residential Project Summary as part of the propsed set of plans. Single Family Residential Project Summary
- Projects requiring plans shall include a construction management plan time schedule to be submitted for review. Visit the Construction Management Plan webpage for detailed requirements
- New developments of habitable structures having four or more occupants shall complete an appropriate “standard-of-practice” geological investigation to ensure that active faults do not underlie the site or, if present, are appropriately mitigated by avoidance (structural setbacks). 2018 Site Specific Seismic Fault Investigation and Guidelines
The following documents can assist you in preparing for the plan review process. Additional documents can be found in our Document Library
Commercial Accessibility Plan Review Checklist
Concrete Shear Wall Plan Review Checklist
Construction Management Plan
Energy Efficiency Plan Review Checklist
Masonry Wall Design Plan Review Checklist
Means and Method Plan for Tenant Protection During Construction
Plan Check Submittal Declaration
Pre-Construction Affidavit to Provide Digital-Format Plans
Residential Accessibility Plan Review Checklist
Single Family Dwelling Plan Check Correction Sheet
Storm Water: Best Management Practices Checklist
Storm Water: Best Management Practices – General Plan Notes
Storm Water: Best Management Practices – Owner Affidavit
Structural Observation Report Form
Structural Plan Review Checklist
Supplement Plan Check Correction Checklist
Supplemental Accessibility Plan Review Checklist (Sanitary Facilities)
Supplemental Accessibility Plan Review Checklist (Group A Occupancies)
Supplemental Accessibility Plan Review Checklist (Group M Occupancies)
Supplemental Accessibility Plan Review Checklist (Group R Occupancies)
Supplemental Accessibility Plan Review Checklist (Elevators)