BEVERLY HILLS NATIONAL AUDITIONS
For the Fall 2020 - Spring 2021 Recital Series
Deadline: Monday, April 20, 2020
UPDATE REGARDING NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
As the City continues to proactively promote public health in response to concerns surrounding Novel Coronavirus, the City has cancelled the Saturday, April 18th live auditions at Roxbury Community Center.
Preliminary selection of finalists will be made via internet posted performances. All applicants are asked to include links to their performances posted online with their application. The performances can be on YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo or via a DropBox link to a .mov or .mp4 file. The deadline to apply is extended to April 20, 2020.
Select finalists will be notified and invited to a live final round at a later date pending regulations on the Novel Coronavirus.
Winners receive performance engagements and recognition in up to three concert series: Music by the Sea (City of Encinitas on Friday evenings), The Interludes (Torrance on Saturday afternoons), and Music in the Mansion (City of Beverly Hills' Greystone Mansion on Sunday afternoons), as well as consideration for Sundays Live! at LACMA, Laguna Beach Live! and more than 50 other Southland concert series through the Consortium of Southern California Chamber Music Presenters.
Each selected artist(s) receives an honorarium, with the event publicized online and in local newspapers. Auditions are open to instrumentalists, pianists, vocalists and chamber ensembles.
Now in its 27th Season, designated a "Best Bet" by the Los Angeles Times and a "Pick of the Week" by L.A. Weekly, "the series is a much sought opportunity for performers...The talent level is extremely high." - Los Angeles Times
- Auditions are open to professional musicians from age Each candidate must be able to present a one-hour recital program without intermission
- During the auditions, each performer/ensemble will be given a maximum of 10 minutes.
- At least two contrasting pieces are required for the audition; for example: Classical & Romantic periods. Must include a short virtuoso selection (if the virtuoso selection is from the Romantic period, that satisfies both requirements). It is recommended to offer 4-5 compositions for the audition (including some from the applicant's proposed recital program), as the committee prefers to see a wide selection and may request short "samplings".
- Application must include: separate repertoire list, a suggested recital program and a biography.
- Applications will be prescreened for qualifications and may be returned (together with the check).
- Selected artists will be notified by e-mail/phone with confirmation/venue of the recital dates by May 22, 2020.
- The Consortium's concert-series presenters will make separate concert arrangements with the selected artists/ensembles.
- Laura Schmieder, Chair. Artistic Director Music in the Mansion; Director, iPalpiti Artists National, Inc.
- Karla Devine, Artistic Director, Classical Crossroads / The Interludes Concert Series, Torrance, CA
- Bill Vestal, Director, Sundays Live! at LACMA
- In addition, members of the Consortium of Southern California Chamber Music Presenters are invited as guests to the Auditions, which include more than 60 other Southland concert series.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
- Application deadline is Monday, April 20, 2020
- Application fee is $30 and payable by credit card or check.
- Applications can be submitted:
- by mail to Greystone Park 501 Doheny Road, Beverly Hills, CA 90210 Attn: BH National Auditions
- by e-mail to email@example.com with the subject line BHNA application.
- Visit www.beverlyhills.org/BHRec and click on the Log in/Create Account drop down.
- Click on the blue "Create Your COBH Account" and enter you email address.
- A verification email will be sent to your email address.
- Once you go through the steps of verifying your email and creating your password, log back into the registration system (beverlyhills.org/BHRec).
- You will need to complete your account information (i.e. name, address, phone, etc.).
- Then register for Course #28065
- Complete the online Audition Application (PDF) and submit separately via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Agree and sign waiver electronically.
- Final step, enter your payment information.