BEVERLY HILLS NATIONAL AUDITIONS
For the Fall 2021 - Spring 2022 Recital Series
Deadline: Monday, April 19, 2021
UPDATE REGARDING NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
As the City continues to proactively promote public health in response to concerns surrounding Novel Coronavirus, live performances cancelled until statewide restrictions lifted.
When live-audience concerts can be safely resumed, the winners of the last April’s 2020 Beverly Hills National Auditions, whose 2020-2021 concerts had to be canceled, will be awarded concerts hopefully in the 2021-2020 concert season.
For OPEN concert opportunities in 2021-2022 (as some of last April’s winners are unavailable) please contact Laura Schmieder, Beverly Hills National Auditions’ chair, by clicking here.
Winners receive performance engagements and recognition in up to three concert series: Music by the Sea (City of Encinitas on Friday evenings), future Saturday performance series TBA*, and Music in the Mansion (City of Beverly Hills' Greystone Mansion on Sunday afternoons), as well as consideration for Sundays Live! at LACMA, Laguna Beach Live! and more than 50 other Southland concert series through the Consortium of Southern California Chamber Music Presenters.
*Saturday’s “Interludes” in Torrance has “sunsetted” during the COVID.
Each selected artist(s) receives an honorarium, with the event publicized online and in local newspapers. Auditions are open to instrumentalists, pianists, vocalists and chamber ensembles.
Now in its 28th Season, designated a "Best Bet" by the Los Angeles Times and a "Pick of the Week" by L.A. Weekly, "the series is a much sought opportunity for performers...The talent level is extremely high." - Los Angeles Times
- Auditions are open to professional musicians from age 16. Each candidate must be able to present a one-hour recital program without intermission
- At least two contrasting pieces are required for the audition; for example: Classical & Romantic periods. Must include a short virtuoso selection (if the virtuoso selection is from the Romantic period that satisfies both requirements). It is recommended to offer 4-5 compositions for the audition (including some from the applicant's proposed recital program), as the committee prefers to see a wide selection and may request short "samplings".
- Application must include: separate repertoire list, a suggested recital program and a biography.
- Selected artists will be notified by e-mail/phone with confirmation/venue of the recital dates by May 1, 2021.
- The Consortium's concert-series presenters will make separate concert arrangements with the selected artists/ensembles.
- Laura Schmieder, Chair. Artistic Director Music in the Mansion; Director, iPalpiti Artists National, Inc.
- Karla Devine, Artistic Director, Classical Crossroads, Torrance, CA
- Bill Vestal, Director, Sundays Live! at LACMA
- Jim Gilliam, Arts Program Administrator, City of Encinitas
- In addition, members of the Consortium of Southern California Chamber Music Presenters are invited as guests to the Auditions, which include more than 60 other Southland concert series.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
- Application deadline is Monday, April 19, 2021
- In consideration of the hardship musicians facing due to COVID, Application fee is waived and submission process simplified.
- Complete the online application and submit via e-mail to email@example.com.