Skip to Main Content
Start a Business in Beverly Hills



Thank you for considering the City of Beverly Hills as a location for your business. The City is centrally located in the high-income west side of Los Angeles County.  As one of the safest and well maintained cities in America, the level of service offered by the City is unrivaled.  Locating your business in Beverly Hills will open up your company to endless opportunities.

The Office of Economic Development is available to assist you and your company through its business planning process.  You are encouraged to contact the us to request citywide economic information and/or market data of the City’s many commercial and retail districts.  The Economic Development staff is ready to provide assistance and support to your company’s efforts addressing start-up issues involving other City departments or divisions. 

Why Choose Beverly Hills? (Economic Development Portal)

To learn more about the Office of Economic Development and the services it offers, you are invited to call (310) 285-1098.

Below is a brief overview of key steps that may be required when opening a business in Beverly Hills:



BUSINESS TAX: Businesses are required to apply for a business tax certificate prior to the start of business operations. All businesses, i.e., non-professional services; professional services; retail; wholesale, contractors; apartment building owners; rental of commercial property and others are licensed according to business type. Applications can be submitted online. If you have questions, please contact us at or call at (310) 285-2424.

REGULATORY PERMIT: Certain types of businesses are required to obtain a special permit. For example: massage establishments, amusements, clubs, escort bureaus, massage, motion picture/television filming, police patrol, second-hand dealers, pawnbrokers, peddlers, taxicabs, transient merchants, solicitors/canvassers and others. Applications are available at the Cashier's Office located on the first floor of City Hall.  If you have questions, please contact us at or call at (310) 285-2424.



PLANNING PERMITS:  Businesses are required to contact the Planning Division on issues involving zoning, land-use, architectural review, i.e. façade remodel or signage or to apply for an outdoor dining permit.

BUSINESS SIGN PERMITS: Beverly Hills Municipal Code contains stringent sign regulations. Contact the Planning Division at (310) 285-1141 prior to construction or installation of all business related signs.



BUILDING PERMITS: Special construction permits are required prior to construction or alteration of a structure in the City. Contact the Building & Safety Division at (310) 285-1141.

CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY: Businesses are required to obtain a certificate of occupancy prior to moving into any business location in the City of Beverly Hills. Contact the Building & Safety Division at (310) 285-1141.

USE OF COMMERCIAL PROPERTY: The City may be required to perform an investigation determine if a proposed use of commercial property is consistent with the type of business activity, i.e., industrial, manufacturing or businesses that affect parking availability. Contact the Building and Safety Division at (310) 285-1141.

CONSTRUCTION SIGN PERMITS: Beverly Hills Municipal Code contains stringent sign regulations. Contact the Building & Safety Division at (310) 285-1141 prior to construction.



USE OF PUBLIC STREETS: The use of public property by private business requires City approval. Contact the Civil Engineering Division at (310) 285-2452 for further information.



FICTITIOUS BUSINESS NAME: The Los Angeles County Clerk's Office accepts applications for recording fictitious business names, commonly known as DBA or “Doing Business As.”  Contact County Clerk's Office at (562) 462-2177 for further information.

SALE OF FOOD: The sale of food is regulated by the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services Environmental Health Food Inspection Program.  The County Department of Health Services can be reached at (626) 430-5200.



ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES: The sale of alcoholic beverages is under the regulation of the state Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.  The Inglewood Office serves the Beverly Hills and the Westside.  The Inglewood Office can be reached at (310) 412.6311

RESALE NUMBER: The State Board of Equalization issues a resale number to every business selling retail merchandise for which sales tax is collected. For further information contact the Culver City office serving Beverly Hills at (310) 342-1000.


  • City of Beverly Hills Shield
  • City of Beverly Hills
  • 455 North Rexford Dr
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210
  • (310) 285-1000
  • Monday-Thursday 7:30AM-5:30PM
  • Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM

© Copyright 2024, City of Beverly Hills. All Rights Reserved.