10 a.m. to approx. 12:30 p.m.
If your child is a culinary master in the making or just loves to help out in the kitchen, the Beverly Hills Farmers’ Market is the place to be.
Youngsters are welcome to enjoy Cookin’ Kids the 2nd Sunday of each month as part of our Kid Zone. Children will be introduced to fresh fruits and vegetables based on what’s in season. They will be able to taste the featured item of the month, learn about its health benefits, meet the farmer and get recipes that they can easily prepare at home.
This is a free event. Children must be accompanied by an adult and can drop by and participate anytime during the session. The Kid Zone includes pony rides and a petting zoo for a nominal fee every week from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. brought in by So-Cal Animals.
Tangerine & Roasted Beet Salad
- 2 pounds fresh beets (any color you like; red, yellow, pink)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated tangerine peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tangerines, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
- Additional grated tangerine peel
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a foil-lined 8-in. square baking pan. Cover and bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until tender. Cool to room temperature. Peel and slice; transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a small saucepan combine vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-10 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in tangerine peel, salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature.
- For serving, arrange the tangerines, onion and beets on lettuce leaves. Drizzle with dressing; garnish with additional tangerine peel. Yield: 6 servings.