It is important to prepare your business for a disaster. Things may be different: there may be loss of utilities, help may not come for several days or even weeks, and suppliers may be unable to make deliveries. There are many variables but, how quickly your business can get back to business depends on how well you prepare your business today.
Here are some steps that you can take to prepare your business for a disaster:
Plan to stay in business
- Take into account all hazards that could affect your business (both man-made and natural disasters). Plan in advance to manage any emergency situation.
- Protect your business by making continuity and emergency plans.
- For more information go to: https://www.ready.gov/business
Talk to your people
- Include people at all levels of your organization in emergency planning.
- Practice your plans with drills and exercises.
- Encourage employees to create their own disaster plans and kits.
- Create communications plan to contact employees and customers during and after a disaster.
Protect your investment
- Review insurance coverage.
- Prepare for utility disruptions.
- Secure buildings facilities and plants.