FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Keith Sterling, Public Information Manager
(714) 600-0952 email@example.com
Beverly Hills City Council Approves Prohibiting the Sale of All Tobacco Products
Beverly Hills, CA (June 4, 2019) – In a landmark decision, the Beverly Hills City Council tonight unanimously approved an ordinance to prohibit the sale of tobacco products in the City starting on January 1, 2021.
The key provisions of the Ordinance include:
- A permanent exemption/carve out for existing cigar lounges;
- Effective January 1, 2021, hotels, existing and future, may only sell to guests;
- Effective January 1, 2021, all other businesses shall stop selling tobacco products;
- A hardship exemption provision for retailers that demonstrate the ban would cause undue hardship; and
- City Council review of the impacts on tourism in three years.
Restricting the sale of tobacco products differs from restricting smoking activity. For more information on current tobacco regulations in Beverly Hills, please visit www.beverlyhills.org/smoking.