Every owner of a building where asbestos abatement activity occurs is responsible for the performance of the asbestos abatement activities by his/her agent, contractor, employee, or other representative.
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is fibrous minerals composed of thin, needle-like fibers. Exposure to asbestos causes several cancers and diseases. Special handling by trained professionals is required.
When is an Asbestos Abatement Permit required? Does the City of Beverly Hills require a permit for less than 100 sq. ft. of asbestos?
An asbestos abatement permit is required for all asbestos abatement removal. An Asbestos Abatement Permit is required in Beverly Hills if more than .1% of asbestos is detected (even if it is less than 100 sq. ft.)
What amount triggers AQMD requirements/When is an AQMD requirement letter needed?
An AQMD notification letter is required if applicant is abating more than 100 sq. ft.
Asbestos Permit Requirements:
- Completed Plan Review and Permit Application
- An asbestos contractor license C-22
- Authorization letter to pull permits on behalf of the license holder (if application is not signed by the license holder)
- An Asbestos Survey and Lab Report
- An Air Quality Management District notification letter
Asbestos Abatement Inspection Requirements:
- Asbestos Clearance Report
- Final asbestos inspection
For additional information on Asbestos Abatement requirements, visit the South Coast Air Quality Management District