For the Fall 2022 - Spring 2023 Recital Series
Deadline Submission: Friday, April 8, 2022 5pm PST
In compliance with safety protocols, this year’s audition will be conducted VIRTUALLY.
Winners announced by Sunday, May 15, 2022
Winners receive performance engagements and recognition in up to three concert series: Music by the Sea (City of Encinitas on Friday evenings), future Saturday performance series TBA*, and Music in the Mansion (City of Beverly Hills' Greystone Mansion on Sunday afternoons), as well as consideration for Classical Sundays at Six at St. James in the City (formerly Sundays Live! at LACMA), Laguna Beach Live! and more than 50 other Southland concert series through the Consortium of Southern California Chamber Music Presenters.
Each selected artist(s) receives an honorarium, with the event publicized online and in local newspapers. Auditions are open to instrumentalists, pianists, vocalists and chamber ensembles.
Now in its 32nd Season, designated a "Best Bet" by the Los Angeles Times and a "Pick of the Week" by L.A. Weekly, "the series is a much sought opportunity for performers...The talent level is extremely high." - Los Angeles Times
- Auditions are open to professional musicians from age 16. Each candidate must be able to present a one-hour recital program without intermission
- At least two contrasting pieces are required for the audition; for example: Classical & Romantic periods. Must include a short virtuoso selection (if the virtuoso selection is from the Romantic period that satisfies both requirements). It is recommended to offer 4-5 compositions for the audition (including some from the applicant's proposed recital program), as the committee prefers to see a wide selection and may request short "samplings". 2022 is a virtual audition, please see video recording requirements in the Application form.
- Application must include: separate repertoire list, a suggested recital program and a biography.
- Selected artists will be notified by e-mail/phone with confirmation/venue of the recital dates by May 15, 2022.
- The Consortium's concert-series presenters will make separate concert arrangements with the selected artists/ensembles.
- Laura Schmieder, Chair. Director, iPalpiti Artists International, Inc. Artistic Director Music in the Mansion & Music by the Sea
- Karla Devine, Artistic Director, Classical Crossroads, Torrance, CA
- Bill Vestal, Director, Classical Sundays at Six!
- Jim Gilliam, Arts Program Administrator, City of Encinitas
- In addition, members of the Consortium of Southern California Chamber Music Presenters are invited as guests to the Auditions, which include more than 60 other Southland concert series.
Application Submission Instructions
- Application deadline is Friday, April 8, 2022
- In consideration of the hardship musicians facing due to COVID, Application fee is waived and submission process simplified.
- Complete the online application and submit via e-mail to email@example.com.
UPDATE REGARDING NOVEL CORONAVIRUS