About | Literacy Program Services |
- The Beverly Hills Public Library Adult Literacy program helps adult learners (ages 18 and over) improve their reading, writing, and comprehension skills.
- VOLUNTEER TUTORS NEEDED! Help an adult student develop and improve their literacy skills. Interested? Call 310-288-2207 for information.
- For more information about this program, please contact the Beverly Hills Public Library Adult Literacy at 310-288-2207.
Literacy Program Services:
The following services are FREE, and open to adult learners (ages 18 and over). Please contact the Literacy office at 310-288-2207 for more information.
- Weekly Literacy Classes (drop-in students are welcome):
- News For You Class
Thursdays, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Conversation/Basic Skills Class
Mondays, 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Basic Skills Class is on break;
please call (310) 288-2207 for more information.
- One-on-One Tutoring
Adult learners are matched with a volunteer tutor. We currently have a waiting list of students; call 310-288-2207 for more information.
Become a Volunteer Tutor:
Volunteer literacy tutors are needed to help adult literacy students become more confident by developing and improving their literacy skills, including basic reading, writing, and comprehension.
Volunteer tutors must:
- Be at least 18 years old. No previous teaching/tutoring experience necessary.
- Complete the 2-hour tutor training. These are usually scheduled every few months, on the last Friday of the month, from 10:00 - 12:00 noon. Call 310-288-2207 for information on upcoming tutor trainings.
- Commit to meet with your adult student at least once a week, for a minimum of 6 months.
Volunteer tutors will be matched with an adult student after completion of training. Based on the tutor and student's schedule needs, Literacy staff will help the tutor/student pair set a weekly tutoring schedule. Tutors will be provided with recommended materials and techniques; as well as assistance from Literacy staff.