The City of Beverly Hills and California Building Codes requires permits for permanent and temporary fences and walls. Permits can be obtained from the Community Development Department. Fence and wall heights restrictions vary based on the location of fence and wall on private property.
FENCES AND WALLS INFORMATION
Permanent Fences and Walls Temporary Fences and Walls
PERMANENT FENCES AND WALLS
A building permit is required for the construction, repair, or maintenance of a fence and wall.
Fence and Walls Heights and Setbacks
In the single (except hillside) and multi-family zones, the maximum allowable fence height is eight feet in the rear yard, seven feet in the side yard (does not apply to street side yard) and three feet within the first 20% of the front yard and six feet anywhere after 20%. In the single family (R1) Hillside area the front and street side yard allowable fence or wall height is six feet maximum total height with the portion over three feet high being open to public view if located more than 10 feet away from the property line, three feet between three feet and 10 feet from property line and no wall allowed within three feet of property line. There is no specific limitation in the commercial zone but an Architectural Commission approval is required. Please contact a planner to learn more about the exceptions and restrictions on above requirements.
Important: Fence and wall heights restrictions vary based on the location of fences and walls on private property. For specific project requirements and entire specifications visit the Beverly Hills Municipal Code, Title 10, Chapter 3.
All retaining walls shall be plan checked and permitted. Construction plans and building details shall be engineered by a California Licenses Engineer.
Swimming Pool Enclosures
It shall be unlawful for any person, within the city, to construct, install or maintain in the city a swimming pool or excavation unless the same is enclosed or protected from entrance thereto by the following protective facilities or by other facilities equally sufficient for the purpose of protecting the public, particularly children, from the hazards of swimming pools and excavations. All swimming pools and excavations shall be enclosed by a fence or wall not less than five (5') feet in height above the underlying ground. Walls of dwelling and accessory buildings may be used to form part of the enclosure herein above required. (Beverly Hills Municipal Code 9-1-602 amending the Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa, and Hot Tub Code section 328.1)
Swimming Pool Safety Act
For additional swimming pool requirements view the Swimming Pool Safety Act Handout
Fence Requirements for Vacant Lots
The City of Beverly Hills and its residents take pride in the prestigious appearance, presentation, and safety of our community. Vacant lots can create health and safety hazards which can be mitigated through the follow maintenance requirements. All vacant properties located within the City of Beverly Hills shall be minimally maintained at the standards stated herein.
Vacant Lot Fence Requirement Handout
TEMPORARY FENCES AND WALLS
Standards for Temporary Fences and Canopies on Public Property
No use of public property may be made without first obtaining the necessary permits from the Department of Public Works.
- Fences and canopies must be completed and approved prior to first called inspection. If not satisfactory at that time, job will be stopped.
- Fences and canopies must be maintained in a sound, safe, and clean condition at all times. They should be painted a neutral color and should have no signs other than those for which permits have been issued. No bracing or anchorage is allowed to the public sidewalk.
- 8’-0” IN HEIGHT – EXTENDING OVR ENTIRE LENGTH OF BUILDING AND TURNED AND EXTENDING TO BUILDING LINE.
TEMPORARY FENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
The City of Beverly Hills and its residents take pride in the prestigious appearance, presentation, and safety of our community. Construction project can create health and safety hazards which can be mitigated through the follow maintenance requirements. All vacant properties located within the City of Beverly Hills shall be minimally maintained at the standards stated herein.
- Property Maintenance is required on all construction projects. The owner(s) of the property must file for a permit and submit a landscaping, fencing, and maintenance plan.
- There shall be appropriate landscaping maintained throughout the course of construction project in the two (2) feet street front setback area.
- The landscaping in the front two (2) feet of setback shall be maintained by an automatic irrigation system.
- A screened security fence shall be installed on all construction projects. Fences shall comply with the following requirements and these requirements shall be detailed on the fencing plan submitted for permit.
- A six (6) foot high chain link fence with a green color mesh screen shall be placed around the entire perimeter of the site.
- The fence shall be placed on or adjacent to the property line on all sides of the property. The side of the chain link fence facing the street shall be setback two (2) feet from any property line with a street front.
- A three (3) foot pedestrian gate access door shall be placed swinging into the property from the alley. In the case that there is not an alley, the pedestrian gate shall be placed where access is provided from the street front of the property.
- A rolling gate shall be placed as an opening in the fence wherever there is a driveway approach entering the lot. The size of the gate shall not be larger in width than that of the driveway. The rolling gate door shall not be of the swinging type.
- Any landscaping in the front yard setback and parkway shall be maintained throughout the course of construction.
- The landscaping in the front yard setback and parkway shall be maintained by an automatic irrigation system.
- Temporary panel stands are not permitted.
Standard Block Wall Detail
The City provides a standard block (CMU) wall detail that can be used to obtain a building permit of a wall that does not retain soil. Deviations from the standard block wall detail shall be engineered by a California Licensed Engineer.
Click link to view the standard detail: 6” CONCRETE MASONRY BLOCK FENCE WALL DETAIL
PLAN REVIEW CHECKLIST
Concrete Shear Wall Plan Review Checklist
View the standard plan review checklist for concrete shear walls.