Welcome to the Planning Division! Within the City’s Community Development Department, the Planning division is committed to providing the community with personal attention, accurate and detailed information, and timely responses in a manner that instills public trust and confidence while exceeding service expectations.
Director | Susan Healy Keene, AICP
City Planner | Jonathan Lait, AICP
IMPORTANT NOTICE: On February 24, 2012, the City launched a Historic Preservation Program. For information on the program, visit the Beverly Hills Historic Preservation page.
Services We Provide:
- Zoning Review - Review projects for compliance with City zoning codes, work with applicants to obtain any necessary entitlements.
- Environmental Review - Review projects in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
- Entitlements - Provide information and assistance in obtaining reviews and entitlements prior to applying for a building permit.
- Planning Commission - Support the Planning Commission who are charged with overseeing administration of the zoning code.
- Architectural Commission - Support the Architectural Commission who are charged with approving the architecture of commercial and multi-family buildings.
- Cultural Heritage Commission - Support the Cultural Heritage Commission who are charged with recommending the designation of historic properties to City Council and reviewing Mills Act program applications.
- Design Review Commission - Support the Design Review Commission who are charged with approving the architecuture of the parts of single-family homes that are visible from City streets.
- Maintainance of City Development Codes - Assure that City codes reflect the needs and desires of the community.
- Compliance with State and Local Requirements - Maintain the City's General Plan and Zoning Code.
- Reviewing Projects in Neighboring Cities - Assure that the community of Beverly Hills is not unnecessarily impacted as other cities grow and change.
- Housing - Encourage the production of affordable and special needs housing in the City through incentives and development standards.
- Historic Preservation - Encourage the protection of historically-significant resources in the City
- Sustainability - Educate the community about sustainability issues and promote ecologically-sensitive practices.
To review a monthly list of recently issued permits visit the Records Management webpage.
For information on how to obtain a permit visit our Permit Center webpage.
Prior to being eligible to submit for a building permit some projects are required to obtain a entitlement. Planning administers the City's entitlement reviews which include the following.
- Zone Change/General Plan Amendments
- Conditional Use Permits
- Development Plan Reviews
- Single-Family R-1 Development Permits (for Hillside Trousdale, and Central single-family residential areas)
- Multi-Family R-4 Development Permits (for multi-family residential areas)
- Architectural and Design Reviews (for commercial and multi-family and single-family residential areas)
- In-Lieu Parking Agreements (for the Business Triangle)
- Other minor accommodations to the Zoning Code.
Obtaining an Entitlement:
VISIT OUR PERMIT CENTER
Appointment Line -Schedule an appointment to discuss your project with a member of the Planning Division
Select Option 2
Frequently Asked Questions - For a list of FAQs or to email a question
Monday-Thursday: 7:30am - 5:30pm
Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday, Sunday & Holidays: CLOSED
MAILING AND PHYSICAL ADDRESS
Beverly Hills City Hall
455 N. Rexford Drive, First Floor
Beverly Hills, CA 90210