All multifamily rental properties are subject to the RSO. The following building types are exempt:
- Single-family residences.
- Hotels, motels, inns, and rooming houses rented primarily to guests for a period of 30 consecutive days or less.
- Multi-family properties that received a certificate of occupancy issued after February 1, 1995.
- Most condominiums.
- Non-profit cooperatives owned and controlled by a majority of the residents.
- Dwelling units that are owned and operated by a governmental entity or an agency or authority of a governmental entity.