UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, THE BEVERLY HILLS FIRE DEPARTMENT WILL NOT BE PROCESSING ANY NEW APPLICATIONS FOR SPECIAL EVENTS. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL (310)281-2703.
The Beverly Hills Fire Department (BHFD) works to provide direction on fire requirements at special events to ensure business, visitor, and community life safety.
BHFD reviews all special events, assessing the fire safety needs and dictates the occupancy load for all enclosed venues. Regulated items include, but are not limited to, the following: fire lanes and public safety access, tents and temporary membrane structures, special effects (hazers, fireworks, etc.), open flames (candles), occupant loads, exiting, egress, use of decorative materials and finishes, vehicle displays, BBQ, storage or use of propane or other fuel-type equipment and crowd management.
BHFD event requirements issued prior to and on-site must be adhered to. BHFD may revoke any issued permits if the event violates any conditions that may pose a life safety threat.
How to: Request a Special Fire Permit
Step 1 – Verify if your event will need any type of special fire permit.
Examples of special events or activities that may require special activity permits include, but are not limited to:
- Assemblies (50 or more persons)
- Tents/Canopy or other air-supported structures (40 sq. ft or greater)
- Open Flame (cooking/candles)
- Exhibits & Trade Shows (vehicle displays/filmings/red carpet events)
- Pyrotechnic Special Effects Material/Hazers (concerts/theaters)
- Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG)
Step 2 – Complete the Place of Assembly Application. The application shall include the following information listed below in order for event approval (ALL INFORMATION LISTED BELOW IS REQUIRED):
- Event description giving an overview of the type of event including number of expected in attendance
- Name & Address of Organization (invoices will be mailed to this location if your event requires a Fire Safety Officer)
- Telephone number/Email (of applicant)
- Field contact name for event
- Event date and time
- Floor plan/diagram shall be provided for all submittals. The floor plan/diagram should include:
- Posted occupant load and event occupant load
- Set-up of tables, chairs
- Location of stages
- Location of cooking area
- Location of portable heaters and cooking appliances LPG permit
- Location of electric/gas generators
- Location of fire extinguishers
- Fire department access shall be maintained at all times.
- Location of all tents. Tents larger than 40 square feet shall not be erected, operated or maintained for any purpose without first obtaining a permit per California Fire Code. Building and Safety approval for Tents must be obtained prior to install. (no exception)
- If using camera jib/crane please have videographer sign and return the Camera/Jib Boom Requirements form.
A separate Fire Code Permit Application is required for:
- Drapery (draperies/fabrics must provide a sample for field burn test and copy of State Fire Marshal Cert)
- Candles (candles must be in approved candleholders)
- Vehicle Display (required only if displayed indoors)
- Special Effects (hazers, pyrotechnics)
- Barbecue (any cooking including sternos)
A separate Fire Department Tent Permit Application is required for:
- Tents larger than 40 square feet. (Building and Safety approval for tents must be obtained prior to install….no exception).
Step 3 – Only online application(s) and supporting documents to email@example.com shall be accepted. Once reviewed and processed by the Fire Department, an email will be sent to the applicant to inform of approval/denial. The email will include any fire department conditions to permit and a copy of the permit. During this step, fees will be posted on each permit.
Due to the amount of applications being submitted daily, please submit applications 10 business days prior to event. This is to allow the department to process, review and work with applicant. Applications date stamped prior to 10 days will have an expedited fee added to overall permit as indicated:
- Applications submitted through online process 3-9 days before to event --- $298
- Applications submitted through online process 48 hours or less before the event --- $397
- Late notice applications after the event --- $463
Step 4 – All permit fees shall be paid prior to event. To pay for permits online, an account must be set up on City Smart (CS). Please register here. If you already have an account, you may go directly to the payment page here.
Fire Permits and Fire Safety Officer fees are as follows:
- Place of Assembly $153
- Special Fire Code base fee:
- $76.50 (Candles, Vehicle display, BBQ, Drapes, Special Effects),
- $6 each cylinder (LPG)
- FSO $149 (4 hr. minimum)
*All fees must be paid prior to event. Exception: Fire Safety Officer (FSO) Standby will be invoiced after the event.
Under certain conditions a Fire Safety Officer (FSO) may be required for a special event. FSO fees are $149.00 with a 4-hour minimum. Events that may require FSO standby:
- Special Effect use
- Generator use
- Occupant load concerns
- Large red carpet arrivals
- Extensive production set up
For more information on the special fire permitting process, please contact the Community Risk Reduction at 310-281-2703, Monday thru Friday from 8am-5pm.
|Important: Please make sure that you have completed all of the applicable online forms from the Filming & Special Events Office: http://www.beverlyhills.org/citymanager/filmingspecialevents/permitapplicationforms/|